Monday, November 17, 2014

Another cool benefit of homeschooling - Take your daughter to work day

I've worked most of my career as a software engineer.  I recently joined Snowflake Computing.  The last seven months have been a lot of work, but I'm excited by the potential of the company.

For the last couple weeks my youngest daughter has been asking if she could come with me to work sometime.  I think she is motivated by the adventure, spending time with dad and a really cool used book store.

So come Wednesday we'll take the train together and ride to work.  She'll bring her school work along.  I'm sure we'll chat on the way up and we'll go out to lunch.  She'll spend some time in a conference room and the company break room.

I think it will be a great exposure to the real world.  She'll have a better understanding of what it is her father does.  It will be more real to her.  And it may even become a more interesting option for her to consider.  (Though right now she is very interested in neuroscience.)

This is another cool benefit of homeschooling.  We didn't have to ask permission from some school official.  We didn't have to fill out any forms.  We have the freedom to make our own schedule without having to worry if someone else would let us.

I love homeschooling!

No comments: