Sunday, August 10, 2014

I love this time of year.

I really enjoy this time of year, when I make plans for the upcoming school year.  I take a little time to research some of the curriculum options like math, history, grammar, handwriting and so forth and plan out our year for both our homeschool and our homeschool co-op.

This is also when I start signing up for the outside classes and activities like theater, gymnastics, tae kwon do, and so forth.

We never really stick exactly with the schedule, but it is fun to plan anyway.  It is exciting to find materials that "match" the learning styles of my children.  There is a certain amount of trial and error, but it neat when you find just the right thing that "clicks" with you and your child.

I'm trying a new math program this year with seven-year-old son but I'm pulling out the History program that I used with our oldest two daughters years ago.  It is fun to sort my shelves and make everything look nice even though It doesn't stay that way long.

Our fourteen-old-year daughter is at the easy stage where she does most of her work on her own with a little follow up on my part thanks to wonderful online resources like Khan Academy.

And it is really nice when school starts.  All of a sudden there are no lines or crowds for the places we want to go because most children are back at school. [Though I admit that I hate school field trips.  There is nothing worse than a school bus full of kids with only a handful of adults to ruin a museum or park experience for the reset of us.]

No comments: