Thursday, December 08, 2005

Family Support Makes a Difference

My mother-in-law left a nice comment on my Homer's Odyssey post. This kind of support makes a big difference. My children's grandparents are wonderful. They support our homeschool efforts. They go along on field trips. They invite the kids over for over nighters (which make a big difference to mom and dad). Grandpa has taught chess at our homeschool co-op for the last three years. He practiced soccer with the girls. Grandma does little sewing projects with the girls, like making outfits for their dolls. They attend the girls' performances (talent shows, plays, piano recitals). They bought educational materials we requested (phonics videos, Robinson CD's, books, play equipment for the backyard). They take the kids hiking. My middle daughter saved money to go visit her cousins in Virginia. My in-laws made a special trip (paying their travel expenses) so that she could go with them.

Even more important than what they do, is what they don't do. They don't criticize the kids or our parenting style. They don't quiz the kids to see if they are keeping up with the neighbors. They don't compare the grand kids to each other. Our kids are late readers. My in-laws never ever hinted that it was a problem.

I've seen more than one friend get discouraged and give up homeschooling due to pressure from family members. I am extraordinarily grateful for all the support we get from our family and friends.

No comments: